Sunday 28 June 2015

16-32-64 six

Jurassic World - an almost perfect movie.

I'm sixteen again, sat in the theatre living the dream because I was too young the first time the original movie came out, and not bothered by the time The Last World appeared.

I've got no qualms about going to the cinema by myself these days - I want to see a lot more films than I can find people to go with, so I go during the day on a weekday when I'm usually one of about six others - mostly other single folk. Today I chose to go on a Sunday afternoon, not long after opening to pick up that beautiful group experience that makes a difference with some movies. And it really worked, totally enhancing every giggle, gasp and hand-to-mouth surprised gesture as everyone did the same around me. There was even the illogical laughter of a high pitched man who reacted at all the wrong bits and made us all giggle straight after each time. I miss this, and I'll do it more often - for the right movies, obviously.

Anyway, the film itself was near-perfect. The right combination of jumps, giggles and throwbacks to the original film without making a mockery or a boring documentary. Much better than I expected and my hopes were high after the adverts - although this usually just means they've put all the best bits in the advert, and left the film empty of new footage. This was not the case.

The first film I saw in 3D was Avatar and that was fantastic use of the medium at the time. Since then I've seen it used in one of the Iron Man films and one of the Transformers films (both forgettable enough that I don't render which, but not the originals). I never expected it to take off dramatically and these two proved why it shouldn't - most films do not benifit from this and in those two films, it was distracting at best. Avatar used it much more subtly and created a delicate, beautiful world with little floaty white octopus things that drifted in and out of your vision in such a believable way my hand twitched to grab one throughout the film.

Jurassic World picked up on this subtly and improved on it. I don't have the technical know how to explain it, but from a layman watching a film with good storyline, good character development, solid filming - I'm pleased to say they didn't over use it just because they could. Well done technicians, well done director.

Well, when you have Michael Crichton and Stephen Spielberg on your side, you'd better get it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment