Thursday 20 August 2015

16-32-64 thirty-five


I feel sixteen at the moment - I know I'm not running around brimming with energy, but I certainly feel absolutely wonderful on this chemo break and it's doing my physical and mental health wonders.

Sunday was my 32nd birthday (that information still hasn't really settled in yet to be honest) but festivities started on Thursday when I travelled to meet friends in Milton Keynes. An amazing dinner was had, here at Melis (Turkish & Ottoman food - the best of any Mediterranean I've ever had) in the little village my friends H&C live in.

Friday was the shared tattoo I've been hinting toward for weeks - this is the original image, from a Korean poetry book (we contemplated getting the text and decided not to, but it's very beautiful):


H already has a few small tattoos and my friend J came up to have her first with us at Electra Tattoo, all done by the incredible Mark who bravely put up with the three of us from 10:30am - 7:30pm in order to get the three done in one day. What a grafter; and a true artist. Photos in a few days when the last of the bruising has gone down - it seems to be healing well (if a little slowly, although I've been warned of that on lower legs) and I think the chemo break of three weeks will be enough.

Dinners and lunches and lovely family moments including a Chinese for ten, where so much food was ordered I was actually a bit embarrassed (£177.20) and a trip to Greenwich - one of my favourite places in the world.

I had my eyebrows tattooed back on today by Geraldine at the Karen Betts Harley Street clinic. They never really recovered after coming back very fair and sort of half-there after the first chemotherapy which finished this time last year; so I promised myself when I got ill health retirement that I would have them done - I extremely pleased I went ahead.

As I'd hoped, it was a really positive experience; couldn't recommend her more and I'm very happy with the early results. My niece came along as a second opinion and to help me make the big decisions - at seventeen I thought it was a good chance to see what having a tattoo looked like - almost an 'ink-lite' experience! Not that she wants any of her own, but I was grateful of the company when I started to get a bit nervous beforehand and someone to bounce the ideas off when it came to agreeing to the colour and shape. They look like real hairs; it's quite incredible and really very different from a standard tattoo - the machine was even quieter than the gentle hum of the rotary that Mark had used a couple of days ago.
Looking forward to seeing how they fare over the next few days while the swelling (no where near as bad as I expected) and darkness of colour goes down. Photos soon; worth every penny - and it costs a lot of them!

Lastly, my desk has arrived back in it's incredible refurbished condition - fits great in my living room and I'm busy filling it with all the good things that a nice desk deserves. I'll take photos tomorrow in the daylight - but it is really stunning. My dad was particularly impressed with how well the re-leathering was done.

So, a couple of days indoors (I was preparing for the eyebrows to look a lot worse than they do) with just a GP catch up on Friday, and Sainsbury's delivering on Sunday. Let's hope it's drier tomorrow - it's been pelting with rain all evening - so I can at least sit out in the garden while I relax. Oh! and I keep forgetting; dinner with J at Sapporo on Friday night with my Pops - she is moving into the area on Friday so I'm looking forward to showing her what was my favourite restaurant when I lived nearby with the ex. Fingers crossed it's still just as good!


No comments:

Post a Comment