Wednesday 5 August 2015

16-32-64 twenty-eight

Gabapentin - works!

Extra sleep - works!

Radiotherapy - hopefully works too.

I've just left the department after a hit on my ribs. Posterior ribs, left side. Had all the usual chatter, signed the forms but this time a much smaller machine that has an arm that comes around to you on a movable, comfortable bed. Such an improvement on the machines I've been in before (apparently a different kind of radiotherapy) which have been all metal - they practically strap you in; you're stuck lying flat on your back (which is agony for me unless my knees are raised) and the bed it metal too.

So, eight minutes of lying very still (eyes closed, concentrate on breathing as recommended by my Pops) and they're back in, fussing around and discharging me and I'm making tattoo jokes and off I go. Two years ago this would have been terrifying, unthinkable - today, I'm more concerned about what's for lunch when I meet my friend upstairs.

Redness and soreness ("have you got any Doublebase?") to be expected, and the pain from the bone itself may get worse before it gets better. Typically, I forgot the fact that both will be at their worst at two weeks post-treatment... Which is my birthday weekend - but that's fine. As long as there's someone around to moisturise me, I'll be fine.

1 comment: