Saturday 8 August 2015

16-32-64 thirty


Referring back to 1st August, I've already explained that my dad ('Pops') had been recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. We've been dealing with it in an oddly reserved and relaxed manner, feeling as though we have a bit of a handle on things with the experience of my cancer over the past eighteen months. And then it kicks you when you're down, and you remember to be surprised.

The more up to date news isn't good - the prostate cancer has spread and although there is no organ involvement yet, it's throughout his lymph nodes and therefore considered metastatic. The new treatment plan is the same as what I had nearly two years ago - hit with chemo and start hormone treatments immediately - they which will continue for the rest of his life.

Pops was originally offered radiotherapy as a first port of call, but now it's found to have spread, chemo is the way forward. I said got to be worth going through five months of chemo for the price of two more years of life (it extends the prognosis by about 22 months rather than just having hormone treatments, their most recent studies show). He originally said he would decline chemotherapy if offered it, but I think he's so relieved not to have to attend five days a week for three months radiotherapy, this is almost better.

I've found it hard to deal with mostly that the prognosis has reminded me of my own. Very strange to feel like I'm being hit with facing up to my own mortality almost two years on again. So, I've cancelled a few lunch and dinner dates and having a quiet few days out of the busy schedule of things I usually 'entertain' myself with.

I'll get back on track, this has just been quite a shock as I didn't expect the news to get any worse from his first diagnosis. Once again, am eerily familiar story.

At the same time, one of his closest friends who lives in Liverpool had just been diagnosed with a pair of brain tumours which have turned out to be secondary to lung cancer. I've been talking her through some of my experience through Facebook messaging - radiotherapy mainly, as that's what she's facing first for the brain tumours, which have caused her to lose all power in one leg and other side effects. No one can quite believe this is all going on.

My health for once is fine - tiredness but otherwise the comfort of the recent scan results is still there, and I can't wait to have my new tattoo next Friday! More on that later - I have one very important dinner date I have kept with friends E&A at local seafood restaurant Sea Salt and absolutely cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment